Oncology Nurse Navigators
When someone is diagnosed with cancer, it can be an overwhelming experience. That's why we have experienced cancer nurses and a specialized team of Oncology Nurse Navigators that help patients through the process.
Our Cancer Centers have Oncology Nurse Navigators throughout the Memorial Hermann system to assist cancer patients in the transition from diagnosis through treatment and beyond. Patients are then able to traverse their cancer pathway more easily and focus on recovery and healing.
What is an Oncology Nurse Navigator?
The Oncology Nurse Navigator is an expert oncology clinician and patient/client advocate who assists patients during their course of treatment. The Oncology Nurse Navigator addresses patient and family education, and serves as a liaison throughout the continuum of care. The Oncology Nurse Navigator redefines the patient experience and ensures quality outcomes by combining knowledge and skills with the support, compassion and spirituality each patient deserves.
Memorial Hermann Nurse Navigators are Registered Nurses who have 3 or more years of oncology nursing experience or experience in a related subspecialty with professional certification as an OCN, AOCNS or certification within the clinical specialty.
How Can an Oncology Nurse Navigator Help Me?
A cancer diagnosis can be a frightening and confusing experience. With so many choices to make and so much to learn about your illness and your treatment, it can be hard to know where to turn.
Role and Responsibilities
The Oncology Nurse Navigator:
- Serve as a point of contact for clinical coordination and questions regarding all cancer-related care at Memorial Hermann Cancer Centers.
- Help you understand your diagnosis and treatment options, as well as your follow-up survivorship plan.
- Coordinate communication between you and your healthcare team.
- Collaborate with the members of your healthcare team to provide timely diagnosis and treatment.
- Connect you with other services, such as financial counseling, cancer clinical trials, genetic counseling and other support services.
- Provide education about your care as well as educational materials.
- Help you and your family to connect with community services.
At Memorial Hermann, our Oncology Nurse Navigators are there every step of the way. Learn more about them below.
Memorial Hermann Oncology (Cancer) Nurse Navigators
- Memorial City: Elizabeth Traje, B.S.N., R.N., ACM, , O.C.N., O.N.N.-C.G.
- Memorial City and West Houston: Karen Davin, B.S., R.N., O.C.N.
- Northeast Houston: Carol Kirton, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Northwest Houston: Angela Sisk, M.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Southeast Houston: Krystie Fenton, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- Southwest Houston: Lilian Sweeney, R.N., B.S.N., O.C.N., C.B.C.N. (Breast Nurse Navigator)
- Sugar Land and Southwest Houston: Tam Huynh, M.S.N., R.N., F.N.P.-C., C.B.C.N., A.O.C.N.P.
- Texas Medical Center: Shirley Ruiz, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.
- The Woodlands Medical Center and North Houston: Carolyn Allsen, B.S.N., R.N., O.C.N.